We are only capable of seeing from our own state of consciousness.
Have you ever tried to explain something deeply important to you and found the listener totally unable to grasp the essence?
On the other hand, have you experienced the gift of someone who is right there with you, and can even help you see your next steps? For instance:
- A teacher who has great impact is able to meet you where you are, see from your current perspective, then draw you forth to take in and learn from a wider view.
- An empathic individual feels what you feel, meets you where you are emotionally, and only then, if you desire, guides you forward.
- A good physical trainer does the same – evaluates where you are and offers the exercise plan which will step you forward.
Have you ever put yourself physically at the level of a child
and seen the world from their perspective?
Today, each time you witness something wildly different from your “sensibilities”, remember:
I see from my experiential viewpoint.
Then ask yourself:
- What is it that has this person doing, saying or thinking “that”?
- What would have this thing created in this “strange” way?
Rather than, “different – wrong” consider:
Different – Of course!
We all see, create and choose from our personal, unique perspective. Some of us are able to “put ourselves in another’s shoes” and see as they see. Some of us, not so much.
A friend or family member, teacher or mentor, who can “see as you see” is a precious gift. The gift is even more precious if they are wise enough not to judge or try to change or convince, force you to be/think/believe what you are not ready to embrace.
My greatest expansion has come from an invitation to the “new” from a trusted source – one who has met me first where I am.
Who in your life “meets you where you are”?
What would free you to meet others “where they are”?